How to Teach Inferencing With a Mystery Box

1. SO cute! I have something similar to this. I use a mystery bag. This is used as our "share" bag. Whoever takes the bag home places any item in the bag, then they have to write three clues for the item. The next day they bring in the bag and we they read one clue at a time to the other kiddos. We continue guessing and deciphering through our options until someone guesses correctly. We do this all year and the kids LOVE it!!! Love the mystery box though. That would also be a great way to introduce a new unit and/or theme!!

Keep the cute ideas coming!!! 🙂 Love it.

P.S. I'm in some gray, cold, and rainy weather also and I live in the SUNSHINE state! 🙂

Kelly

2. You are very creative! I really like this idea…I think it would be a neat activity for my ELL students. Definitely an incentive to use vocabulary! Thanks for sharing. I love your new blog…the name is way creative and the look is beautiful. Have a lovely weekend!

Ladybug

3. Janae says:

I LOVE all your inferencing ideas. Such a hard topic to teach, and my kiddos are doing great with it, thanks to you! 🙂

4. MrsKinne says:

I love this! My mystery box is a cardboard box covered with construction paper and foil stars. 🙂

5. Fantastic idea and VERY cool unit!
    Thanks for sharing all of your hard work!!!!!

Alexandra

6. tiffany says:

Just an idea….spray paint a Panera bagel box????

7. I use an old insulated type lunch bag because I send it home and the student needs to put an object in it and write 3clues with their family and return it.

8. April Brown says:

I was introduced to your blog by a friend. I have to say I'm hooked. I love your idea and the unit. Thank you for sharing it with us.
    I will be using it soon in my classroom once we are finished our penguin unit.
    I do something similar in math but it's to help build number sense.
    April
    msbrownsgrade2class.blogspot.com

9. Great activity! I love how you use the graphic organizer before and after to help students understand how to draw better conclusions! Great skills and fun!
    My mind is turning for ways to help my kinders learn to use information they gain and make inferences!

10. Rachelle says:

O.MY.HECK! I love everything about this.
    -Rachelle

11. katryce says:

Just went to Target to get this box and couldn't find it:( Guess I will have to try something else. Thanks for the awesome idea.

12. AmberJean519 says:

hehe i'm loving the little bugger that thought a tiger cub could be in the box. how cute!

13. Jamie says:

That is SO cute!

I love the groundog and tiger cub guesses 🙂

14. Brandy says:

This comment has nothing to do with your mystery box (which is cool, by the way), and I know lessons about penguins are yesterdays news…but…I was sent this link about a real penguin in Japan for my children to watch and it is so stinking cute. I just know everyone's students would love it!

15. LOVE love love! this idea! thanks for sharing! i can't wait to get something like this started in my own classroom! 🙂

thanks again!

16. Love this! Can't wait to redesign my mystery bag! Thanks for sharing your great idea!

~Michellle

17. Amanda says:

Love this! I was just thinking about revamping my mystery box… so this is so timely! 🙂 Love the new blog!

18. Kate.Mich says:

I've wanted to start Mystery Box in my classroom for a while. Your blog inspired me! I went to Target and bought the box, downloaded your printables – thanks so much!!!

Would it be possible for you to post your schedule for us? I'd love to know how your day goes.

Thanks…xx.

19. Mrs. Magee says:

I love it! Can't wait to use it with my firsties!

20. Ms. Monroe says:

I bought your lesson on TPT and taught the lesson today. We had so much fun. Even my "non-writer" was eager to complete his response sheets. Their guesses where way off, so I can't wait until our next Mystery Box lesson and see if they are better at inferencing! Thank you so much for such an awesome resource. Love it!

21. Mrs. Lewis says:

Love this! I made it this week. It turned out great. I actually laminated the box with the pieces on it.

Thanks!

Tanya

22. Love this idea…..will be using it soon. thanks for sharing!!!

Cynthia

23. Debra says:

I really want to get a box like yours, but I need a # so I can google it (No Target nearby). Very cute idea!

24. Anonymous says:

I've got a freebie Mystery Box that I've painted and use this way. If you adopt a cat they give you a cardboard cat carrier, and the bonus is that it has the walk-through hole in the front. I covered the hole with 2 pieces of fabric so kids can reach in and feel the objects, but the top fabric piece makes it so they can't see inside.
    Maybe a pet store would be willing to donate one of these boxes so you don't have to buy anything!

25. Alyssa says:

Love this idea! Can't wait to use it next year! What are those a.m.a.z.i.n.g. fonts?!

26. I use something very similar (a repurposed shoe box) and I use it to introduce new books that we read as a whole class. I love using it to teach predictions. Off to redo mine 🙂

❤ Mor Zrihen ❤
    A Teacher's Treasure

27. Mrs. M says:

I absolutely LOVE your mystery box idea! I used it in reading and then changed it up for math. The box has a number in it. The students have to use 1 or 10 more/less and greater than/less than clues to find the number. They thought it was awesome! Thanks for sharing!

28. […] relevant Text 1: Description: Mystery Box 1) Bibliographic information https://babblingabby.net/2011/02/mystery-box-inferencing-activity.html visited on 4/9/19 at 5:47 PM 2) Summary This is actually the first activity I would do with the […]