Coffee and Christ.

1. Amber O. says:

It seems to be that when life is good, making time for Him is hard. The bigger the trial, the more apt I am to run to His arms. I'm in a bit of rut myself, and am struggling to pull myself out. After my husband left, my quiet time was WONDERFUL-daily, intentional, meaningful. God really pulled me through it, and now that the pieces are starting to be put back together I find myself going to Him less and less. I think we just have to put it in our schedule, like everything else! It sounds awful, but that's the only way I'm sure to do it. My alarm goes off on my iPad, and I sit right down to it. Accountability partners help, too. I am much more apt to read & pray if I know someone's going to ask me about my quiet time the next day:) I know how you feel right now, Abby! Hang in there:) The good news is, He's not going anywhere; He's ready when you are:)

2. DiNkY says:

I joined a women's bible study at church and it had REALLY helped me! Not only am I closer to God but I'm able to have fellowship with other women as well!

3. Miss Marcy says:

Hi Abby,
    First of all, please know what a blessing you are to so many people. You have the wonderful ability to really connect with others, and this is truly a gift. I am hoping you regain your energy and feel more like yourself soon….believe me you will! I always find I grow the most in my most challenging moments. Someone once shared with me the comparison of how a seed grows. A seed needs quiet darkness before it can reach the sunlight and grow and bloom. Our lives are like that too. Sometimes we need those quiet, dark moments before we reach for the sunlight and flourish. I always remember this in challenging times….that when I reach toward him….I soon bloom and blossom. It takes these quiet, reflective difficult times to really grow inside. You have a beautiful family Abby….thank you so much for sharing your little blessings with all of us!

4. Sandy says:

I normally don't respond to things, but it is funny that you should bring this up. I just wrote a blog post about this. There are seasons of life when you just don't have the time to devote to deep study like others, but I have found that even a verse a day can help tremendously.
    You can find the post on my blog that I very rarely write on..
    Your story is amazing. Truly inspiring. It never ceases to amaze me at how wonderful HE is or how HE works.

5. Kaija Purvis says:

Abby first off, I am such a fan of you! I loved reading your adoption story. I was adopted from India when I was a baby and adoption is SO close to my heart. Anyways…How I reconnect with my Savior is writing in a journal how I have seen His hand THAT day. I love looking back and reading these moments. I feel when I feel separated, and (I am the one who has moved,) I am not thanking Him enough. I become ungrateful. Changing my heart and becoming grateful for even the little things like a green light, or a full tank of gas, or ice cream really helps lighten my heart! Chin Up! You are amazing and funny and inspirational 🙂

6. I do my devotion over my morning coffee too, before my kids are ready to have breakfast. Lately though there always seems to be something getting in the way pushing it further down my mental to-do list. Fortunately, God knows our hearts and what we need to get us motivated. I think knowing is half the battle. I have the bible app and it sends me daily reminders/notifications with a verse. It also has tons of options for devotionals.

7. Katie says:

I totally understand that feeling! Its been a rough couple of years, but it is always so refreshing to remember that no matter how slack I can be at times, He is still carrying me through! To get back on track sometimes I have set up my bible app (you version) with a plan and then I listen to it in the car. It may not be the most in depth time I want, but at least I can do it in my car on the way to somewhere and then I get my prayer moments in too! It helps me to get back in the swing of things. When I listen to the guy reading, I feel like I am listening to Paul read it to me! 😉
    katie
    Inquiring Our Way Through First Grade

8. luckeyfrog says:

I'm reading Interrupted by Jen Hatmaker. It is really making me think about how to reconnect! Whatever you need… I'm sure you'll find it. Hopefully soon!

Jenny

9. Thank you for all you do for others. Now I joined this group to document my faith, can I draw nope, some times I just jot my daily thoughts on the calendar for the week, check it out and let me know if you have ?'s it has been wonderful for me

10. Abby, you always express so well what a lot of us feel but can't quite write so beautifully. You are such a blessing for so many of us. My advice is to sit back, relax a little and try to feel the love of so many people around the world, supporting you. When I was pregnant with my 2nd, I had a similar start and could do little else but sit on the sofa. Even reading make me tired and sick…. 'thinking' at all was just too hard. Give yourself the love you would give others, and know that everything is just how it should be. I am so happy for you and your family. xoxox

11. Abby, you always express so well what a lot of us feel but cant quite write so beautifully. You are such a blessing for so many of us. My advice is to sit back, relax and try to feel the love of so many people around the world, supporting you. When I was pregnant with my 2nd, I had a similar start and could do little else but sit on the sofa. Even reading make me tired and sick…. thinking at all was just too hard. Give yourself the love you would give others, and know that everything is just how it should be. I am so happy for you and your family. xoxox

12. Abby- I'm 25.5 weeks pregnant with my first and completely understand how you've been feeling! I had the same type of "pregnancy coma" that seems to have just lifted in the past few weeks. Like you, my quiet time suffered and I didn't spend much time with Him. Now that I'm feeling more like a real person (with a basketball in my belly), I've set up a devotional on my phone with a nightly reminder at 8:15pm. If I don't get to it during the day, I know I'll do it in bed before I go to sleep. It's really helped calm my mind before sleep and I've been sleeping better (still not great, but better) knowing that I've connected with Him that day and that He is watching over me and my baby. Hang in there!! Pregnancy is HARD- don't let anyone tell you it's not. It's been way harder than I thought it would be, but has also strengthened my relationship with Christ knowing that He is carrying me through it. And you too 🙂 much love from a fellow teacher in Nashville!!

13. Beth says:

I got a guide to help me get back on track. I am currently using "What Love Is" by Kelly Minter (focusing on the letters of John). Because the guide is marked with the days, then I am more likely to stay on track. Putting worship music as my alarm has also helped me in the mornings.

14. Laura Wanke says:

I will be praying for your spirits to be lifted! I think we all go through this from time to time.

Laura Wanke
    Spoutin' about 2nd

15. I really appreciate your very honest and personal post. I am currently feeling this same way. My family has been struggling to deal with my husbands recovery from addiction. It is so hard! I know that I should be closest to my Savior right now, but I find myself the furthest I have been from him in a long time. I also don't know how to get myself back on track. I hope to gain some wisdom from others by reading these comments.

16. Allison Ford says:

SheReadsTruth, which I actually learned about through following you! Reading that daily and also supplementing with Jesus Calling has really helped get me out of my rut.

17. Thanks for sharing this from your heart. I love reading how open and honest you are. Your genuine desire to spend more time in the Word and prayer echoes my own. I think that we all have ebbs and flows in our journey with Christ and time management. One way I use my time during the day to help focus is sometimes using my lunch to pray for teachers and kids at my school, or read a quick few verses. It helps me to focus on what is important and set my heart more on Christ. I find myself less stressed and more kind. I wish I could say that this is a daily habit, but honestly your post encouraged me to be more faithful about my own prayer and quiet times. Thank you for sharing.

Adventures of a Techie Bookworm

18. Maria says:

I think many of us can empathize with you. Even when I'm unable (or unwilling even) to devote a few little seconds to Him, I do have my radio station tuned into KLOVE. (104.3) It's helped me to feel connected and so inspired. Give it a try. 🙂 Hugs and a Hail Mary headed your way!
    Maria

19. Maria says:

I think we can all empathize with you on not taking advantage of the quiet times. One thing that's helped is I've started listening to KLOVE in my car.(I live in Mason and it's 104.3 in my car)It's so inspirational. A start…. 🙂
    Maria

20. Disclaimer: Both of these ideas were from a good friend….. 🙂
    It can be very overwhelming, and quite defeating, when you look at what you think you should be doing each day in regards to your quiet time with God. Change your mind-set. Instead of focusing on how much you feel you SHOULD be doing, simply do the "next right thing." Just one. It could be the quick Jesus Calling devotional. No worries if you don't write pages and pages in a journal. Just that one moment of intentional time can lead to habits of longer periods of time.

She also suggested a "treasure hunt" with God. I'm literally "listing" His treasures that I come across each day. My goal is to see how long it takes to find 100 treasures. I'm referring to all of those situations that are God moments throughout your day. Add them to your list. The real treasure is to go back and read them when you're struggling. If you struggle with knowing God will be faithful in your future, simply re-read how he's been faithful in your past.
    ….and GIRRRRRL, he's been "Faith-ful" to your crew for sure! pun totally intended!
    Keep on keeping on! I look forward to finding you in my in-box. 🙂
    Angela

21. Your post was very convicting. I relate to what you shared. Sometimes, when I'm finally in the quiet or alone, I'm too tired to have much to say or read. At those times, I turn on a worship song to just rest in His presence for a bit. I appreciate you sharing!
    -Marie

22. Kendra says:

I'm in the middle of this right now. I have little desire to have my morning quiet time. I sleep until the last second and then feel rushed and disconnected throughout the rest of the day. I finally started playing KLOVE and Hillsong on Pandora on my prep time at school and it helps me feel closer to Him while I have been slacking and neglecting Him in the morning. I also use my shower time as a bit of prayer time. I am hoping to slide out of my slump soon. Cut yourself a bit of slack. You are growing a new life and that alone should make you feel close to our Savior. He placed that life inside of you. So when you are giving little miss her last bottle, praise Him for her, Becks and that sweet baby on the way.

23. Janie Lafave says:

So much going on in your life! Peaks and Valleys…That's Life on Earth! I have been dealing with my own sadness since the end of January. I think it has a lot to do with the winter blues. It will not own me…I will not dwell in sadness… I find JOY in every little thing and the SUNSHINE will return to my heart and soul. Praying for you! You have been an inspiration to me for MANY years. YOU are AMAZING!

24. Please let me know what you discover..I'm having that same feeling. I DO love my Billy Graham, Hope For Each Day, daily scripture. I've read it everyday for 15 years.
    xo

25. I read this post along with the comments when it first went up in February. I felt convicted and comforted at the same time, knowing that we are not alone in this journey. I was reminded through an above comment about the SheReadsTruth app that Abby recommended a while back. Thank you, thank you all! It (the Lent study in particular) has been a huge help in bringing me back to the Bible. Continuing to pray for you, Abby and those of you who are facing similar struggles.