Teachers, these three activities will help you teach your students about inferencing and will lay the groundwork so that students can infer while reading! There's a video explanation included along with a FREE activity that will support your teaching of inferences in the kindergarten, first grade, second grade, third grade, fourth grade, or fifth grade classroom!

How to Teach Inferencing: Lesson Plans & Activities

1. Jeanne says:

These activities are the best!!! I so enjoy using them with my firsties!

2. Meghan says:

These are my favorite that you’ve ever done!!! Would love if you created more to use with mystery box. And something else like Snow Day!!

3. Susan says:

Thank you so much for these wonderful ideas!

4. Nicki says:

Thanks for the great inferring activities!
    On an unrelated note, where did you get the bag seen in the video?

• Abby says:

It’s a Better Life Bag 🙂 They’re my fave! I’m not a purse girl AT ALL, and even though these are pricy, they’re FOR SURE worth it! Great cause, too!

5. Cathy says:

Love the video component in this post! Thank you for sharing with the visuals and elaboration…great fun!

6. […] By January, you’re ready to dig into some of the deeper ELA standards, such as inferences. This can often be a tricky skill to teach because it involves using clues in illustrations and text to make educated guesses. Because of this, I created Inferencing Investigation. This lesson plan helped me better teach this skill to the six-year-old crowd. I actually did it for one of my observations one year, and my principal loved it just as much as the kiddos did! READ MORE HERE. […]